Current version Edit
Released 14 May 2019
- [Tuning] Reduced Revolver Ammunition to 10 per box from 12.
- [Tuning] Increased likelihood of Revolver spawns at the expense of fewer Rifle spawns.
- [Gameplay] Improved Rifle aiming system to address shortfall in raycast technique.
- [Gameplay] Fixed issue with Bow aiming where Arrow position was slightly offset, affecting accuracy.
- [Gameplay] Fixed missing transition to walk when the Player runs out of Stamina while running
Previous versions Edit
Released 8 May 2019
- Fixed issue where revised Sprain system could trigger sprains on flat surfaces when Encumbered, Sprinting, or Exhausted.
- Fixed issue where Sprain Risk affliction indicator would appear on every scene transition.
- Removed flashing exclamation mark on Slope indicator due to causing widespread anxiety amongst our community. Let's face it, we could all use a little less anxiety.
- Tuned Revolver effectiveness when used against Moose (reduced) and reduced critical chance against Bears.
- Fixed issue where text was missing for the Small Arms (Revolver) research book.
- Fixed issue where players could not dismount from rope on upper cliff edge in an Ice Cave (Hushed River Valley region).
Released 6 May 2019
Size: 1.7 GB
General performance improvements across the game.
- Upgraded to a new version of Unity, enabling widespread improvements across the game.
- Fixed issue that restricted the game’s framerate to 120fps (on applicable systems).
- Streamlined the information appearing in players’ session output logs, to aid with support queries.
- [Enviro] Numerous optimizations to improve performance.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing the player to become stuck in the terrain.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues allowing the player to get outside the intended play area.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing objects to clip and float in the world.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing stretched or missing textures.
- [Enviro] Fixed issue causing lighting hotspots in the Bear Cave in WINTERMUTE Episode Two.
- [Enviro] Updated LOD to reduce popping on buildings and cliffs.
- [Enviro] Fixed issue causing hinges to appear on the same side for both exterior and interior doors.
- [Enviro] Updated transition zone entrance from Mountain Town to Mystery Lake to be more visible to the player.
- [Enviro] Updated flags to animate.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous issues causing unlit textures.
- [Enviro] Fixed issue causing Cat Tails to appear out of alignment during their animation.
- [Enviro] Fixed issue causing inverted snow textures on trees.
- [Enviro] Updated numbers on lock boxes in the Milton Credit Union bank.
- UI] Updated “Disable HUD” setting to remove object labels (useful for game footage capture).
- [UI] Updated various text localizations.
- [UI] Fixed various overlapping UI elements in all languages
- [UI] Fixed issue causing mission sub-objectives to overlap with the next line.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing the “Archivist” badge to always appear as Complete.
- [UI] Updated various missing subtitles.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing a rounding error in Imperial Units when Melting snow.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing incorrect scroll bar alignment on the Stats screen in the Journal.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing the Scent Indicator to not always appear on the Status screen.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing the Radial Menu to inconsistently show the correct number of Light Sources in the Backpack.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing sub-objective text to overlap in certain Challenge Modes.
- [UI] Fixed issues causing the Stone ammo counter to be missing from the HUD.
- [UI] Fixed issue causing the Milton Water Tower icon to appear in the wrong location on the Map.
- [UI] Fixed issue where the player was unable to add potable Water to the Radial Menu after dropping the Water and drinking from it.
- [UI] Added an Accessible Struggle option, allowing players to select between Tap to Win and Hold to Win options.
- [UI] Updated the Weak Ice indicator.
- [UI] Added a new Slope indicator to warn players when they are traversing slopes that are steep enough to cause Sprains.
- [WINTERMUTE] Made several updates to the Bear Spear encounters in Episode Two, including adding a checkpoint and streamlining the final Cave encounter.
- [WINTERMUTE] Polish pass on various cinematics and dialogues.
- [WINTERMUTE] Updated tutorials to reflect gameplay modifications introduced in this update.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed various issues with subtitle typos and timing.
- [WINTERMUTE] Updated description for the side mission “Basics of Survival: Find and harvest some medicinal flora native to Great Bear Island.”
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the Milton Credit Union bank vault door to play a closing animation when reloading your game, if the player was standing in front.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing a black screen to appear if a dialogue pop-up occurred during a cinematic.
- [WINTERMUTE] Updated Medicinal Flora tutorial text with additional details for clarity.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed script issue where the Carter Dam Control Room door cinematic wouldn’t play during The Wounded Trapper mission in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing players to be pushed into another room when opening the vault door in the Milton Credit Union.
- [WINTERMUTE] Numerous updates to Wildlife pathfinding.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing Blueprints to disappear from the Journal between Episodes One and Two. This fix is retroactive and will resolve it for players already impacted by the issue.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing players to become stuck in the floor if they loaded a game after saving it at the exact time the Milton Credit Union vault door was unlocked.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing overlapping text when hovering over a mission objective on the Map.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing Jeremiah to clip through his bed when reloading a save at the beginning of Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issues that allowed players to get on top of the burnt Schoolhouse in Milton.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that kept the Bear Spear from appearing properly in the Journal after examining it.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing players to spawn in the wrong location if they reloaded a game saved immediately after the first Bear encounter in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing players to spawn in the wrong location if they reloaded a game saved while falling from a rope.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing mismatched values to appear for collected wood in the Journal, and when inspecting Grey Mother’s Firewood Bin.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing Milton Knowledge Items in the Journal to update incorrectly.
- [Custom Mode] Fixed issue causing certain combinations of Custom Mode settings to generate an invalid sharing code.
- [Custom Mode] Fixed issue causing incorrect container loot to appear in Custom Mode.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where Forging actions were not being interrupted when the Forge ran out of fuel.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing a partially-crafted Survival Bow to be usable if it was picked up while a completed Bow was equipped.
- [Survival Mode] Updated the Cold Fusion Feat description to properly reflect Air Temperature bonus.
- [Survival Mode] Updated medicinal Tea so it now acts like a First Aid item if a treatable Affliction is present. Otherwise it will still work as a Food item.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Archery Skill Bonus was not applying reduced Arrow Condition loss correctly.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing some lockers to display the “locked” icon incorrectly.
- [Hunted] Fixed issue causing the Old Bear to clip through trees when fleeing.
- [Hunted] Updated Deer carcass placement.
- [Archivist] Fixed issue causing the sub-objective to update incorrectly after collecting the Buffer Memory from the Milton Post Office.
All Game Modes
- [All] Fixed issue where the fade to black transition would not appear correctly when exiting to the Main Menu
- [All] Fixed numerous pathing issues in the world due to missing nav mesh.
- [All] Fixed issue where Water in the Backpack would be consumed when drinking Water from the Cooking Screen.
- [All] Fixed issue causing audio for feeding Wolves to play even when the player wasn’t near one.
- [All] Fixed issue causing chimney smoke to be visible when no fire was active inside a house.
- [All] Fixed issue causing ambient audio to cut off when entering a car.
- [All] Fixed issue causing the player to limp incorrectly after holstering a weapon while suffering from a Sprained Ankle.
- [All] Fixed issue causing the Storm Lantern extinguish animation to play after death, if players fell off a high cliff while holding a lit Lantern.
- [All] Fixed issue where the player was unable to extinguish a Storm Lantern if they opened the Radial Menu while placing it.
- [All] Fixed issue where “Worn Thermal Underwear” appeared as “New Thermal Underwear” in the Backpack.
- [All] Fixed issue that kept the player from fighting back during a Struggle if they were attacked while Repairing clothing.
- [All] Fixed issue causing muffled dialogue VO after firing a Rifle indoors.
- [All] Adjusted the amount on Condition decay on the Bedroll when it is left outside.
- [All] Fixed issue where the Wolf growl audio was missing in some scenarios.
- [All] Fixed issue causing absent wind audio when standing outside a cave entrance.
- [All] Fixed issue where the screen could become blurry during Wolf Struggles.
- [All] Added dialogue VO for quartering Wildlife.
Xbox One-Specific Issues
- [Xbox] Fixed issue where the game would no longer update information in the gamercard after resuming from standby.
- [UI] Fixed issue where an incorrect mouse icon would appear when using left-handed mouse settings.
- [UI] Added scrolling with the keyboard arrow keys for the Buffer Memory screen interfaces discovered in-game during an Aurora.
- [General] Fixed issue causing graphical corruption when playing in OpenGL on an Nvidia GPU.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Updated to v1.48 Steadfast Ranger
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Updated to v1.48 Steadfast Ranger
Released 25 February 2019
Size: 406.8 MB
- [All] Fixed issue causing the Stamina Bar colours to be inverted.
- [All] Fixed issue where the warmth bonus from equipping a lit Storm Lantern or Torch wasn’t being applied correctly in-game.
- [All] Fixed issue where ice textures could appear distorted in various locations.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing various shrubs and rocks to float in Pleasant Valley.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where cabinet doors could shift out of place after breaking down other objects in the same interior.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where ice was missing collision in several locations, causing players to fall through.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the Push/Pull Knife UI text to overlap in German and French during the encounter with Hobbs in Episode One.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing Jeremiah’s Storage Bin outside Trapper’s Homestead to appear sunk into the ground in Episode Two.
Released 17 January 2019
Size: 468.8 MB
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing Wolves to become stuck in their howling animation and unresponsive to the player.
- [CHALLENGE MODE] Fixed an issue where the game would need to be reloaded after changing languages in order for the change to take effect.
- [CHALLENGE MODE] Fixed issue preventing the Old Bear from reacting to the player during Hunted Part Two if they had transitioned indoors numerous times during the Challenge.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue where a Mackenzie VO line about the locked bank vault could be triggered multiple times in a row in Episode One.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing Grey Mother to float if a Deer Hide was placed under her chair.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that kept some cinematic sequences from triggering when a player placed the Bear Spear on the ground in Episode Two. Players can no longer place the Bear Spear from the Radial Menu.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the interior of Trapper’s Homestead to appear briefly prior to a cinematic at the beginning of Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the “FINISHED” option displayed during NPC dialogues to be missing Italian and Polish localization.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the “Crumpled Note” to appear twice at the Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad during Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue with the Old Bear’s pathing to prevent it from running into a cave wall during the “What One Man Can Do” mission in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that would sometimes leave the player with a black screen after an encounter with the Old Bear in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing a brief visual anomaly to appear prior to the beginning of the final cinematic in Carter Dam at the end of Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing out-of-sync subtitle timing during the Old Bear encounter inside the Crummy in Broken Railroad.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the Campfire associated with the Hank’s Hatch side mission at Mystery Lake’s Unnamed Pond to burn indefinitely.
- [WINTERMUTE] Added animation to the red cloth around the Bear Spear when returning to Jeremiah at the end of the “What One Man Can Do” mission in Episode Two.
- [ALL] Fixed various environment art issues.
- [ALL] Fixed issue that could cause cupboard doors to appear out of place in various interior locations.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing the Breyerhouse Winter Crew Warning note to display incorrectly when examined.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing wildlife carcasses to sink into the snow at various locations in Mystery Lake.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed issue causing items to float and overlap in the Maintenance Shed due to the new Forge location.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed an issue where breaking down furniture inside a building could sometimes cause kitchen cabinet doors to become offset.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed issue causing a lamp to float after breaking down a table in the Milton House location in Mountain Town.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing papers to float after breaking down a table in Mystery Lake Camp Office.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing a Tinder Plug to become embedded inside a chair in Trapper’s Homestead.
- [ALL] Fixed issue that kept players from being able to interact with objects after rapidly equipping and throwing Stones.
- [ALL] Fixed issue preventing proper Rifle Placement on the wall mount inside the Broken Railroad Hunting Lodge.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where players could become trapped after crawling inside a pipe outside Carter Hydro Dam.
- [ALL] Fixed issue preventing players from placing Hacksaws and Arrows on flat ground.
- [ALL] Fixed issue that allowed players to interact with an invisible terrain barrier near the tunnel in Forlorn Muskeg that connects to Mystery Lake.
- [ALL] Fixed issue that incorrectly allowed Placement of Clothing items on top of Fires.
- [ALL] Fixed issue preventing players from using the keyboard to select weapons during a Wolf Struggle.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue where players could incorrectly place items above NPCs, making the items appear to float.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue preventing players from picking up various loose Rifle Ammunition in Forlorn Muskeg.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that kept some objective information for the “Survival School” side missions from being visible to players.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue blocking the completion of the “Start a Fire” objective if a player had already placed a Campfire prior to the objective kicker appearing on screen.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed an issue where Mackenzie could become stuck near the cave to leave Milton at the end of Episode One.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where, while Charcoal is equipped, the Ammunition UI would appear when bringing up Quick Stats.
- [ALL] Fixed issue that kept the New Location Discovered kicker from appearing after finding Mackenzie’s crashed plane.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where Clothing item slots would remain highlighted after closing the Clothing menu and switching between keyboard and gamepad.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where the HUD would display the Rifle Ammunition count on the wrong side of the screen when putting the Rifle away or switching equipped items.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing text to overlap when the “RELOAD” command appears after equipping the Distress Pistol.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed issue causing overlapping text to display when interacting with Cairns.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed issue causing the Map screen to run out of memory and stop displaying icons for newly mapped locations.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed an issue with overlapping text on Jeremiah’s Storage Bin.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the incorrect name to display for some locations on the Save/Load screen.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue causing the Knowledge item for frozen corpses to be missing from the Journal after the tutorial kicker appears on screen.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed an issue where the wrong location would appear on-screen when inside the Bear Cave in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed an issue where the Journal would not update when Mackenzie retrieves the Bear Spear in the cave during the “What One Man Can Do” mission in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that kept the final Episode Two cinematic in Carter Dam from triggering if a player had an item in Placement mode as the sequence was about to begin.
- [ALL] Fixed an issue where changing key bindings could alter the appearance of the description text when equipping certain items.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue preventing players from picking up the Storm Lantern and Torch from the shelf in Trapper’s Homestead at the beginning of Episode Two.
Released 21 December 2018
Size: 9.4 MB
- [ALL] Fixed colour grading for early-morning ambient lighting effects.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed Rabbitskin Hat not appearing on the Paper Doll screen for the female survivor.
- [WINTERMUTE] Improved the Old Bear’s pathing when in the cave system during the What One Man Can Do mission in Episode Two. Please note we’re still working to resolve all scenarios where the Old Bear can become stuck.
Released 20 December 2018
Size: 285.8 MB
- [ALL] Fixed the entrance to the basement at Skeeter Ridge in Pleasant Valley appearing in the wrong spot.
Released 19 December 2018
- [ALL] Fixed 'Suppress Discovery Text' setting being carried from WINTERMUTE into Survival Mode.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where gaining an Affliction during a Struggle was not saving the game.
- [ALL] Fixed scrollbar leaving a gap when scrolling to the bottom of the list in the Crafting menu, keeping some Crafting options hidden.
- [ALL] Fixed being unable to light a Torch from a campfire.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed incorrect location text appearing when reloading the game indoors in Milton.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed arms clipping into camera during the Bear encounter at Carter Dam when FOV was set above 90.
- [WINTERMUTE] Removed deer carcass from the Survival Bowl sequence in Episode One that could cause a crash.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Episode Two not starting correctly when a player walks beyond the Cave transition trigger at the end of Episode One.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed the Old Bear not rearing up before starting its attack when in the Bear Cave.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Rifle not returning to player inventory at the end of What One Man Can Do mission in Episode Two.
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Bear becoming stuck in flee after stepping off a fallen tree adjacent to the Bear Spear in Episode Two.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed missing truck in Pleasant Valley.
Released 17 December 2018
Size 2.8 GB
We’ve just released the completely overhauled versions of Episodes One and Two. The “Redux” represents thousands of fixes and improvements, as well as entirely new content. The number of changes are too numerous to list here. Generally, the changes are along the following themes:
- Narrative Presentation: New dialogue mode; all story is now experienced in first-person; all dialogue is fully voiced and animated. All cinematic moments have been redone.
- Narrative Content: All dialogue has been re-written and re-recorded. While the high-level story arc of Episodes One and Two remains the same, many of the supporting details have changed. We’ve introduced new plot elements, new locations, a new introduction, and overall a general layer of presentation polish on narrative content.
- Mission Structure: We’ve opened up the mission structure; previously there were several plot elements or side mission content (ex. Jeremiah’s Survival School) missions that were prerequisites to progressing in the story. As much as possible, while maintaining a logical story flow, we’ve made the mission structure more flexible. Side content is properly optional now and can be accessed over time and in between key narrative moments.
- Gameplay Improvements: In addition to opening up the structure somewhat, we’ve also retuned many of the mission objectives to provide the right amount of challenge. We’ve worked to reduce the amount of backtracking that is required to complete missions (while maintaining the right amount of open-world exploration to keep things interesting). We’ve completely overhauled the Bear Hunt mission structure, integrating it more fully into Episode Two, adding new Bear Spear gameplay, and adding climactic new encounter to complete that story. We’ve also made improvements to how we present mission information to the player. And finally, we’ve retuned the Survival “needs” per Story Experiene (Green, Capable, Hardened) and increased the amount of ammunition (Rifle, Distress Pistol) available in the world.
DECEMBER SURVIVAL MODE UPDATE
The “Redux” game update includes some improvements to the game’s Survival Mode, notably:
- New Craftable Item: Rabbitskin Hat. This completes the suite of craftable clothing options in the game.
- New Health Buff: Well Fed. If you avoid Starvation for 72 hours, you will get a buff to Condition and Carrying Capacity. The 72-hour timer gets reset every time you begin to Starve.
- New Challenge: Archivist. Scour Great Bear to collect the last memories contained in several Aurora-animated computers.
Please note that the Bear Spear is currently a Story-mode only tool. It will be added to Survival Mode in a future update.
As part of the Redux overhaul, we’ve also made the following changes to the User Interface:
- Revised the HUD condition indicators. The game also now defaults to an “Always On” HUD configuration, which can be changed in the Display settings.
- Improved the Fire/Stove interaction interface, to clarify Firestarting, Fuel-Adding, Cooking, and Water production activities. This replaces the “direct placement” action from the Radial as the default, primary Fire/Stove interaction type, although we have also maintained the radial placement system for those who wish to use it.
- General improvements to the Map, Objectives, and Knowledge areas of the Journal (for Story mode only).
- Added new Load screens with gameplay and world information.
... in addition to the dozens of general improvements listed below.
THE LONG DARK v. 1.41 CHANGELIST
Due to Unity issues, we are seeing lower than expected performance in some areas of the game on Xbox One and Xbox One S. We are investigating this issue and will release a fix ASAP. Xbox One X is not affected by this issue. There are some rendering issues when using the latest NVidia drivers on Linux. We are working on a solution. This issue does not affect AMD video cards.
- General performance improvements across the game
- Widespread audio optimizations
- Upgraded to a new version of Unity, enabling widespread improvements across the game
GENERAL ART FIXES
- [Enviro] Numerous optimizations to improve performance
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous areas the player could become stuck in
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous areas the player could get outside of the intended play area
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous clipping and floating objects
- [Enviro] Performed various optimizations to avoid texture popping
- [Enviro] Improved alignment on some power lines
- [Enviro] Updated many snow banks, rocks, and fauna
- [Enviro] Numerous environment improvements
- [Enviro] Improved Aurora visuals; reduced the visible banding effect
- [Enviro] Improved blood decal lifetime
- [Enviro] Improved waterfall splash effects appearance when dark
- [Enviro] Improved light flicker visuals during an Aurora event
- [Enviro] Update to many items to prevent floating after an object is broken down
- [Enviro] Improved decal sorting
- [Enviro] Improved grass reflections lighting for time of day
- [Enviro] Fixed many instances of grass clipping through trees and railway tracks
- [Broken Railroad] Fixed invisible rocks near Rope Climb
- [Broken Railroad] Fixed overlapping pipes and debris near the Maintenance Yard
- [Carter Dam] Fixed box clipping into wall
- [Mystery Lake] Fixed corpses spawning sunken into the ground
- [Coastal Highway] Fixed stretched snow textures around some cabins
- [Mystery Lake] Fixed visual artifacts in river terrain
- [Mountain Town] Fixed flickering textures on mountain near Milton
- [Mountain Town] Fixed missing texture on rocks near transition to Mystery Lake
- [Mountain Town] Fixed missing collison on the barn at Paradise Meadow Farms
- [Mountain Town] Fixed flickering textures on the cars outside of Milton
- [Mountain Town] Fixed player being able to clip through parts of the silo
- [Mac/PC/Linux] Fixed Xbox One menu buttons appearing for 1 frame when using a PS4 controller
- [PC/Mac/Linux] Fixed selection swapping back and forth when cursor placed between two buttons
- [UI] Improved the visibility of HUD button prompt when using a controller
- [UI] Improved Main Menu appearing off-center in 21:9
- [UI] Fixed back button taking player to wrong screen when viewing a Note at the end of a Survival Game
- [UI] Fixed Reticle appearing over non-interactable cabinets
- [UI] Fixed alignment of UI when reading a note
- [UI] Fixed Online Messaging only showing only the latest announcement, instead of all new announcements
- [UI] Fixed Back button option being highlighted by mistake in certain scenarios
- [UI] Fixed player being unable to back out of Save/Load menu if it was empty
- [WINTERMUTE] Improved map markers to allow merging of critical information when multiple icons are at the same location
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed frightened Wolves becoming aggressive after game is saved and loaded
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed conditions that caused players to start Episode Two holding a lantern
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed pelts not curing if partially cured when completing Episode One
- [WINTERMUTE] Added option to easily start Episode Two if the player quit after completing Episode One
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that caused audio to cut out when entering certain cars in Milton
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed multiple sound effects playing when climbing rope breaks
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Neighbours Note clipping into ground
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed deer carcass disappearing when loading an autosave
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Wolves not always fleeing from flares
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed Wolves being able to attack players while in Dialogue Mode
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed weather not restoring correctly when loading a game
- [WINTERMUTE] Improved accuracy of the Episode Completion stat
- [WINTERMUTE] Fixed issue that caused players to be pushed into another room when opening the vault door in the Bank
- [WINTERMUTE] Numerous wildlife pathfinding updates
- [Survival Mode] Fixed player being able to use weapons while afflicted with a sprained wrist by saving then reloading the game
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue with mapping in Mountain Town on some legacy save files
- [Survival Mode] All bedrolls now use the same skill when repairing
- [Survival Mode] Prevented deer from fleeing to inaccessible areas in the Ravine transition
- [Survival Mode] Fixed items becoming lost under the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley after a struggle
- [Survival Mode] Fixed animal sound effects playing when leaving Trapper’s Cabin
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where a cairn found in Coastal Highway could be found twice
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue that could cause Rifles placed on racks to fall off when player exits the building
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Bear spawning in terrain in Mystery Lake
ALL GAME MODES
- [All] General gameplay tuning across a variety of systems.
- [All] Improved aiming mechanics for thrown Stones, to make Rabbit Hunting a bit easier.
- [All] Retuned Wolf flee behaviour to react to being hit by a thrown Stone (probability is subject to Experience Mode).
- [PC/Mac/Linux] Fixed cinematic audio continuing to play when the game is minimized
- [All] Bear breath effect optimization
- [All] Male survivor can no longer be heard breathing when Survivor Voiceover is turned Off
- [All] Fixed players arms becoming stuck if entering a wolf struggle while holding a Flashlight
- [All] Decreased campfires placement size to avoid players trapping themselves
- [All] Fixed condition that could result in the the player becoming stuck when picking up a stunned Rabbit
- [All] Fixed exploit that allowed Encumbered players to travel uphills at regular speed by crouching and standing repeatedly
- [All] Fixed Cooking Pots sinking into cooking surfaces
- [All] Improved how items snap onto cooking surfaces
- [All] Fixed last Cartridge in a stack dropping as a box
- [All] Fixed Bows and Rifles floating above placed location
- [All] Fixed placed Campfires sinking slightly after player leaves area
- [All] Fixed “You are not thirsty” message appearing incorrectly when trying to drink soda or tea
- [All] Fixed player becoming stuck in animation if attacked by a wolf while reloading the Rifle
- [All] Fixed Distress Pistol becoming stuck in hand if the reload button was pressed rapidly
- [All] Fixed instances where subtitles could play when turned off
- [All] Fixed issue where the fade to black after wolf struggle hid the get up animation
- [All] Fixed unplugging the controller during movie a not pausing playback
- [All] Fixed Ropes becoming inaccessible if player saves and reloads while on a ledge
- [All] Adjusted Flashlight lighting effect
- [All] Player can no longer enter a door when a Struggle has been initiated
- [All] Improved wildlife pathfinding in Milton
- [All] Fixed issue that caused Aurora to not appear correctly when using OpenGL
- [All] Improved wildlife pathfinding in Paradise Meadows Farm
- [All] Fixed player being able to throw a Flare while opening a car trunk
- [All] Fixed flickering sky that could occur during wind storm
- [All] Fixed not being able to place a Campfire on concrete
- [All] Fixed unlocked lockers in Trapper’s Cabin requiring a pry bar to open
CUSTOM EXPERIENCE SETTINGS
- [Custom Settings] Updated several description strings to reflect specific settings more accurately.
- [Custom Settings] Fixed "Struggle player strength bonus" option not working correctly
- [Custom Settings] Fixed "Struggle damage received modifier" option not working correctly
- [Custom Settings] Fixed “Stick, Branch, and Stone spawn frequency” always being set to high
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Hidden Caches in River Valley not appearing as empty in Custom Mode
- [Custom Settings] Fixed animals fleeing when Custom Mode set to Interloper mode
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Blizzard Frequency not working correctly
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Wildlife Respawn Frequency not working correctly
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Wolf Spawn Chance settings not matching intended preset
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Cabin Fever and Parasites being On when using the Pilgrim preset
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Medical Treatment voice over playing when Survivor Monologue was disabled
- [Custom Settings] Fixed Custom Experience options being unavailable until user scrolls to the bottom of the menu
- [Custom Settings] Fixed "Interrupt If Freezing Starts While Sleeping" option not taking effect
- [PS4] Fixed missing Bear breath
- [PS4] Improved stability when transitioning scenes
- [PS4] Optimized Aurora performance
- [PS4] Improved lighting performance
- [PS4] Fixed cursor not resetting to correct position
- [PS4] Improved visual effects on Flares when thrown
- [Xbox] Fixed grass rotating to face the camera
- [Xbox] Improved performance when in the Whaling Station
- [Xbox] Improved performance during strong wind conditions
- [Xbox] Improved performance on breath effects
- [Steam] Episode 2 now unlocked properly when player has the “ Leaving the Old World Behind” achievement
Released 21 November 2018
Size 5.1 MB
- [ALL] Added online messaging feature to distribute game news through the Main Menu.
Released 1 November 2018
This update disabled the 4 Days of Night event
Released 27 October 2018
This update included the 4 Days of Night event
Released 29 August 2018
Size: 67.9 MB
This update fixed two bugs caused by the previous hotfix, v1.36.
- [ALL] Fixed an issue that would relocate rifles after exiting a building or area
- [ALL] Fixed an issue that caused some containers to be unopenable
Released 27 August 2018
Size: 958.4 MB
- [ALL] Added new pop-up warning to prevent players from accidentally Eating Raw Meat or Fish when selecting them from the Radial menu.
- [ALL] Completed a tuning pass on several Cooking variables. Cooking times are balanced more closely (though not identically) to values prior to the Vigilant Flame Update, while still accounting for the benefits of real-time Cooking and multiple Cooking surfaces.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing players to get stuck in the bowl object on the second floor of the Camp Office.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed Buffer Memories missing the Examine option.
- [WINTERMUTE] Added new Cooking Meat tutorial to increase clarity around uses for Raw and Cooked Meat in the game.
- [WINTERMUTE] Removal of Metal Shard at the opening of Episode One now happens automatically.
- [ALL] Fixed some instances of wildlife not using optimal paths when moving through the world.
- [ALL] Fixed not being able to stand up from Crouching when in a tunnel or cave.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where injured Bears reset their status when players enter an interior or Pass Time.
- [ALL] Fixed not being able to Pass Time when Cooking ruined meat.
- [ALL] Fixed Hatchet becoming instantly ruined when breaking down a table with a camp stove on top of it.
- [ALL] Top slot for Drinks in the Radial Menu is no longer reserved for Water only.
- [ALL] Player’s last Cooking Pot will no longer drop during a Struggle.
- [ALL] Fixed inaccurate Crafting times when there are fewer than 2 hours remaining to finish Crafting an item.
- [ALL] Fixed Melting Snow not progressing to Boiling if a player leaves the region.
- [ALL] Fixed Unsafe Water not continuing to Boil if Stove is relit.
- [ALL] Fixed improperly focused camera when Harvesting a Moose.
- [ALL] Fixed quantity of Water displayed in Radial Menu and Backpack not matching.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing players to be unable to cancel Fishing in certain scenarios.
- [ALL] Fixed Notes in Inspection Mode missing the ability to scroll.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing the Zoom option to be missing from the Map when using the Steam Controller.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing inconsistency around which actions players can perform when inside a Snow Shelter.
- [ALL] Fixed being unable to place water inside Caves.
- [ALL] Adjusted space around placed items so players can arrange them closer together.
- [ALL] Numerous Environment Fixes.
- [ALL] Numerous fixes to locations where players can become stuck in the game world.
- [ALL] Fixed missing texture on the Fishing Line gear item.
- [SURVIVAL MODE] Fixed graphical corruption in Hushed River Valley Ice Cave.
- [ALL] Fixed audio not correctly fading in and out on load screens.
- [ALL] Fixed missing sound effects when a player suffers an ankle Sprain.
- [ALL] Fixed issue where shooting certain trees with Arrows would cause Moose sound effects to play.
- [ALL] Fixed issue causing wildlife audio to play when exiting a building.
Released 26 June 2018
Size: 148.5 MB
- [All] Fixed issue with untextured objects appearing in Hushed River Valley.
- [All] Fixed issue with invisible collision at the Mystery Lake Forestry Lookout that was preventing players from ascending and descending the stairs.
- [All] Fixed issue with Cooking audio being too quiet.
- [All] Fixed potential crash when entering a location where Water was left Boiling.
Released 20 June 2018
Size: 419.5 MB
- [All] Updated "Use" verbs to better reflect player activity in the game. Verbs should now more accurately reflect intended use.
- [All] Pass Time Until Ready when Melting snow now stops when snow is melted. Boiling to Purify melted snow is now a separate Cooking action, as before.
- [All] Cooking times for partial-unit food items now scale correctly. I.e. 0.5 Kg of meat now takes half the full-unit time cost.
- [All] Wildlife will no longer attack players during accelerated time, unless they were already detected prior to beginning an activity. This addresses an issue where players were being ambushed by predators during accelerated time actions.
- [All] Fixed Mac keyboard icons for Placement actions appearing on PC.
- [All] Fixed players being able to use a Recycled Can/Cooking Pot to cook when the item was at 0% Condition.
- [All] Fixed Quick Placement when using the Steam Controller.
- [All] Fixed exploit where players were able to restore burned food by placing it back onto an active cooking surface.
- [All] Fixed Mac trackpad secondary click not being active for Placement.
- [All] Fixed issue causing previously-killed animal corpses to reappear after updating the game.
- [All] Fixed issue causing active monitor to change when switching screen resolution.
- [All] Fixed players losing Placement functionality when interrupting Placement from the Pack.
- [All] Fixed camera bob persisting after lighting the Storm Lantern while walking.
- [All] Fixed issue causing players to exit the Fishing UI immediately after catching a fish, instead of being able to continue.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing arrows to become invisible after firing them.
- [Survival Mode] Many minor environment fixes to Hushed River Valley.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed numerous Hushed River Valley locations where players could become stuck in the terrain.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Scrolling in Journal Notes.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed players becoming stuck in-between rocks near the bridge closest to Draft Dodger's Cabin in Pleasant Valley.
- [Wintermute] Fixed rare issue where players were permanently afflicted with Cabin Fever in some very old Wintermute saves.
- [Wintermute] Fixed getting stuck when crouching inside Jeremiah's Cabin during Wintermute Episode Two.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where players were unable to place items inside Jeremiah's Cabin during Wintermute Episode Two.
Released 14 June 2018
Size: 1.1 GB
- New region: Hushed River Valley
- Added buffer memories
- Overhauled the cooking mechanic
- [All] Fixed Crows spawning below ground.
- [All] Fixed Intro Movie not respecting Master Volume settings.
- [All] Updated localization.
- [All] Fixed duplicated resolutions appearing in Options.
- [All] Fixed FOV being limited to 100.
- [UI] Fixed inventory actions becoming broken when switching between Keyboard/Mouse and Controller.
- [UI] Improved responsiveness of Resolution Selector in Options.
- [UI] Fixed Main Menu flashing briefly before intro video when running the game on Mac or in DX9 mode.
- [UI] Fixed missing Title when viewing Map Screen in Mountain Town.
- [UI] Updated Region Description formatting to be more consistent.
- [UI] Updated UI art to include Climbing Socks.
- [UI] Fixed Feat progress bars to better represent progress.
- [UI] Updated Main Menu Custom Mode text to be easier to read.
- [UI] Fixed Fish appearing with missing or bright colours when taken from a fridge and inspected.
- [UI] Fixed Earmuffs appearing on Paper Doll when equipping other Accessories.
- [UI] Moved "Sort" icon in the Inventory screen.
- [UI] Updated Clothing UI tooltips for all platforms.
- [Linux] Fixed light shaft rendering incorrectly.
- [Linux] Fixed audio not playing for some players.
- [Wintermute] Fixed checkpoint screenshot showing image from previous save.
- [All] Fixed momentary freeze when opening Inventory for the first time.
- [All] Fixed Light Source menu being unavailable when Flashlight is the only light source.
- [All] Scaled size of Fish to work with new cooking system.
- [All] Consolidated UI actions around a single verb - "Use".
- [All] Updated controller actions to support new Quick Placement feature.
- [All] Fixed Aurora not always appearing correctly when player is Passing Time/Resting at specific intervals.
- [All] Updated cooking surfaces around the world for new Cooking System.
- [All] Updated Campfire placement
- [All] Fixed UI not always updating after performing an action such as Purifying water.
- [All] Fixed Clothing Screen stats not always updating after changing clothing.
- [All] Fixed Living Off the Land achievement progress being reset when drinking tea crafted from Reishi Mushrooms or Rosehips.
- [All] Fixed items falling through certain rugs.
- [All] Fixed missing audio when crafting Tinder from Sticks.
- [All] Updated instant kill regions on cliff faces to be more forgiving in some locations.
- [All] Fixed incorrect text appearing when interacting with an active Fire during windy conditions.
- [All] Updated Disclaimer screen not respecting game language when set to Dutch.
- [All] Player can no longer eat ruined food from the Inspection screen.
- [All] Fixed Weak Ice warning persisting if player loads game while standing on Weak Ice.
- [All] Fixed Bear becoming stuck in animation when not in player’s view.
- [All] Fixed player being able to become stuck when attacked while Crafting.
- [All] Fixed Campfire rewarding extra Charcoal.
- [All] Fixed extra arrow being generated after Harvesting a corpse then saving and reloading.
- [All] Realigned Wolf positioning when it feeds off a Moose carcass.
- [All] Adjusted the speed of Rifle shot sound effect when firing indoors.
- [All] Fixed unintentional movement when player is using the Radial Menu with a Controller.
- [All] Fixed misaligned blood decal after harvesting corpse.
- [All] Disabled Radial Menu while holding a stunned Rabbit.
- [All] Lantern now shows Gallons when Imperial Units are selected. Was showing Ounces previously.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Locations Discovered in the Stats screen to account for Regions with variable number of interiors due to ruined structures.
- [Survival Mode] General fixes for a wide variety of minor locations to make them easier to Survey.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed rare scenario where WINTERMUTE map could appear in your Survival Mode map list.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Moose getting stuck in running animation when it dies while running.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed not being able to Survey Wolf Carcasses that spawn into the game.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed arrow trails remaining after firing an Arrow in certain scenarios.
- [Survival Mode] Removed Stone Church from Faithful Cartographer requirements, as it was causing an issue with legacy game saves.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Moose entering hold position when player is holding a light source.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed wildlife resetting location after player transitions to a new Region/interior.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed player becoming stuck when saving and loading while on stairs.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed non-interactable brush near Lonely Lighthouse.
- [Survival Mode] Improved Moose pathfinding when under trees.
- [Wintermute] Fixed player being unable to save if they delete all their Story saves, while playing Wintermute.
- [Wintermute] Fixed several locations where Bear could become stuck during Jeremiah's Folly mission.
- [Wintermute] Fixed missing textures on Cache boxes.
- [Wintermute] Fixed controller input registering during Episode One ending, resulting in UI popup.
- [Wintermute] Autosave option now only appears when playing Wintermute.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where Player could not enter Hank's Hatch during the Episode Two side mission if they unlocked the hatch, but were missing the letter.
- [Wintermute] Fixed deer carcass disappearing at the opening of Episode One if Player interacts with, saves, then reloads game.
- [ Wintermute] Fixed Cabin Fever icon appearing in Story Mode, even though the player can not get Cabin Fever in Story Mode.
- [Custom Mode] Adjusted how Wildlife Flee chance is applied.
- [Custom Mode] Adjusted loot tables.
- [All] Fixed missing texture from the Burnt Flare when viewed in Inspection mode.
- [All] Fixed Smoke "glowing" at night or in fog.
- [Art] Updated Gun Rack scaling to better match Rifle size.
- [Enviro] Tweaked many item placements.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous locations where objects clip into the environment.
- [Enviro] Polish pass on all Regions.
- [Enviro] Fixed floating snow banks.
- [Enviro] Fixed instances of bushes clipping into trees.
- [Enviro] Fixed Climbing Rope texture not appearing correctly.
- [Enviro] Fixed stretched texture on fallen tree trunk.
- [Enviro] Fixed numerous locations where players could become stuck.
- [Enviro] Updated various tree groups that were missing collision.
- [Enviro] Fixed some Ropes being difficult to interact with from the bottom.
- [Enviro] Fixed floating Rosehip bushes in Timberwolf Mountain.
- [Enviro] Fixed trees and bushes populating the same location in Desolation Point.
- [Enviro] Fixed Flag clipping into Lake Cabins.
- [Enviro] Removed extra exterior window on certain cabins.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed Moose scratch texture on trees appearing stretched.
- [Wintermute] Fixed Aurora during Episode One introduction sequence flickering at certain angles.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Updated to 1.33 Vigilant Flame
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Updated to 1.33 Vigilant Flame]
Released 17 April 2018
Size: 363 MB
- [Gameplay] - Fixed rare crash that could occur when lighting a torch from a fire.
Released 9 April 2018
- Numerous Environment fixes
- General optimizations to improve performance
- Fixed several rare crashes
Gameplay & User Interface
- [Both] Update to allow Player to save their Journal from the Skills screen
- [Both] Players are now prevented from deleting in-use saves
- [Wintermute] Unlocked Chapters data now stored in backup location in case of data loss
- [Custom] Fixed issue that allowed progress towards feats disabled in Custom Mode
- [Both] Fixed issue with Flare shells being re-usable in certain scenarios
- [Both] Fixed issue where animals would disappear under certain conditions
Released 20 March 2018
Size: 1.2 GB
- Numerous Art optimizations to improve performance
- Numerous Environment optimizations
- General optimizations
- Update to Rewired Controller API for improved compatibility using gamepad/controllers on PC/Mac
- Fixed several rare crashes
- Disabled crash reporting for Modded games (to reduce the amount of non-relevant crash report data)
- [Both] Moose sign scratches now appear with the correct color and texture across all Regions.
- [Both] Fixed issue where player could become trapped when walking while crouched behind chair in Milton Credit Union office.
- [Both] Added Charging Station sign to the Orca Gas Station in Milton.
- [Both] Starfield no longer visible through light snow in Milton.
- [Both] Fixed issue causing a snowy hillside to appear inside a Broken Railroad Region Cave.
- [Both] Fixed scaling issue with toilets in Carter Dam.
- [Both] Blood Decals now appear correctly when Harvesting or Quartering.
- [Both] Fixed issue with some Rose Hip bushes appearing to float above the ground in Mountain Town Region.
- [Both] Fixed issue causing footsteps to sometimes look distorted in the snow.
- [Both] Fixed a gap in the terrain in Mountain Town Region, near the entrance to Mystery Lake.
- [Both] Fixed issue with inconsistent appearance of arms during Wolf Struggles.
- [Both] Fixed issue with terrain near the Collapsed Tunnel in Mountain Town Region that was impeding player movement.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where Ambient Occlusion improvements weren't visible on a bridge in Desolation Point.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue with incorrect snowy terrain appearing in a Forlorn Muskeg Cave.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where exiting buildings could result in a black screen.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Tractor near Quonset Garage was incorrectly illuminated.
- [Survival Mode] Improved presentation of thumbnail images in the Survival Mode loading menu.
- [Survival Mode] Improved road and bridge textures in Desolation Point
- [Wintermute] Items in the Hunter's Blind near Alan's Cave in Mystery Lake Region now have the correct texture.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where chimney smoke would incorrectly appear coming from homes in Milton.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where a gap could be seen in Jeremiah's neck during Episode Two cinematics.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issues with incorrect Rifle movement in Episode Two cinematics.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with incorrect item texture on Lake Cabin Key #2.
Gameplay & User Interface
- [Both] Added Clothing UI Icons and tooltips when pressing R3 on gamepads.
- [Both] Removed reticle when aiming the Survival Bow (as intended)
- [Both] First Aid icon no longer disappears from the screen when Cooking or Boiling Water.
- [Both] Fixed issue causing awkward First Person arm movements when accessing inventory with Flashlight equipped.
- [Both] Fixed issue where Slope information would incorrectly appear when climbing up and down ropes.
- [Both] Clothing items no longer display incorrect damage textures at low Condition.
- [Both] Improved positioning for various Scrub Brush placements in the environment.
- [Both] Fixed issue where double-inputs were occurring with the Steam Controller when accessing inventory.
- [Both] Fix for being able to climb up steep objects the player should not be able to climb.
- [Both] Fixed issue causing players to get Cabin Fever in Wintermute. Cabin Fever is now disabled in all three Wintermute Experience Modes.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issues keeping Faithful Cartographer achievement from triggering.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Stone Church icon was not displaying correctly after being mapped.
- [Survival Mode] Removed fall death triggers on cliff wall above Milton Basin.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue that prevented players from Harvesting certain Tree Limbs in the game.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Moose Hide Satchel was not showing the correct bonus when the game was set to display Imperial Units.
- [Survival Mode] Improved ease of mapping the Cinder Hills Coal Mine entrances in Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley.
- [Survival Mode] When selecting a Region in a new Survival Mode game, it will now always default to the last Region the player loaded.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where no on-screen message would appear when approaching transition between Mountain Town and Forlorn Muskeg Regions.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Harvesting UI could sometimes default to “Take All.”
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where the Paradise Meadows Farmhouse could appear unlocked by default.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing various tools to spawn incorrectly in Interloper and Custom Experience Modes.
- [Survival Mode] Players can no longer continue Crafting after a single Match burns out.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where subtitles remain on-screen after character voice over ends.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where crows would circle locations with no corpses present.
- [Wintermute] Fixed various issues blocking progress during the opening survival missions in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where voice over subtitles were missing after sustaining a fall injury.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where Water in inventory was incorrectly counted, preventing Coffee and Tea brewing.
- [Wintermute] Grey Mother's Soup no longer remains hot for too long when added to player inventory.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue causing Fatigue to apply incorrectly when Rope Climbing.
- [Wintermute] Players can no longer Inspect Jeremiah’s Coat in Episode Two.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where text could flicker during Trust interactions with Jeremiah in Episode Two.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where smoke would not appear from the Trapper’s Cabin chimney, even though a fire is burning inside.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue in Episode Two Lake Gunshots Mission where the mission marker was not resolving correctly upon completion.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where error message "Failed to Restore the Game From a Previous Save” could appear incorrectly in Episode One, causing the player to return to the Main Menu.
- [Wintermute] Improved UI feedback when attempting to access empty sections of the Journal.
- [Wintermute] Players can now transfer stacked items to Grey Mother during a Trust interaction.
- [Wintermute] Changed location of First Aid Kit at the beginning of Episode One to make it more noticeable to players.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where Methuselah would appear at the wrong time in Episode Two.
- [Wintermute] Added container for player gear in Grey Mother's House and Jeremiah's Cabin. Using these containers will not affect Trust levels with either character.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where mission objectives from previous save games could appear at the beginning of Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where the incorrect UI label was displayed when players attempted to create a new save game.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with Rifle sometimes not responding during Episode Two mission "Jeremiah's Folly."
- [Wintermute] Improved first-person camera motion to make it easier to interact with Metal Shard at the beginning of Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where Breaking Down catwalk planks in the Upper Dam could keep players from finishing Episode Two.
- [Both] Fixed issue with audio that was sometimes causing too much reverb effect when exploring outdoors.
- [Both] Firing a Rifle indoors no longer affects pitch and speed of voice over audio.
- [Both] Fixed issue where outdoor audio reverb could be heard inside the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad Region.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where character voice over reverb could be heard in caves, even when voice-over audio was turned off.
- [Survival Mode] Walking on the frozen river outside Milton now produces the correct footstep audio effects.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue causing incorrect audio to play when Crafting Tinder from paper items.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where fall injuries could lead to voice over audio that was out of sync.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where exploration music cues were not playing as intended.
- [Wintermute] Improved Fire audio during Grey Mother cinematics in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with cinematic freezing at the end of Episode One, which prevented the game from continuing.
- [Wintermute] Improved Mathis character position during Episode Two cinematic.
- [Wintermute] Improved Jeremiah's character position and audio syncing during Episode Two cinematic.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue causing the camera to incorrectly rotate during cinematics.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where audio and visual effects were out of sync when Will trips and falls during the Episode Two cinematic in Broken Railroad.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue causing Will and Jeremiah character models to vanish from the first cinematic when loading Episode Two and skipping the introduction.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where a chair would appear incorrectly during a Grey Mother cinematic.
- [Both] Fixed issue where interior lighting could create unintended shadows.
- [Both] Fixed issue causing players to get stuck on a fence in Mountain Town Region.
- [Both] Fixed collision issues with bridge leading to Paradise Meadows Farm.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where Bears could be stuck on broken ice in Desolation Point.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issues with player/terrain collision when walking around Hibernia Processing and on approach to the Lonely Lighthouse in Desolation point.
- [Wintermute] Fixed collision issue that allowed Will to partially walk through Grey Mother's rocking chair.
- [Both] Crows will no longer sometimes fly too low and into the ground as the weather changes.
- [Both] Crouching close to Bears no longer lets players move inside the carcass.
- [Both] Fixed issue where blood splatter effect could appear too bright against the snow.
- [Both] Fixed issue where Region and Location details were incorrectly displayed in the loading menu.
- [Both] Fixed issue where Region and Location details were incorrectly displayed in the loading menu.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where Wolves would sometimes be out of position when feeding on carcasses.
- [Survival Mode] Added no-spawn areas to the docks at the FIshing Camp in Coastal Highway, to keep Wolves from getting trapped there.
- [Survival Mode] Adjusted Soda Can location in Mountain Town Region to make it accessible.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where various doors were incorrectly showing a locked icon when Inspected.
- [Survival Mode] Improved camera position and framing of Moose carcass during Harvesting.
- [Survival Mode] Closed off an unintended exit from the Milton Basin area in Mountain Town Region.
- [Survival Mode] Fix for Wolves appearing on the Quonset Garage roof.
- [Custom Mode] General Resource Availability setting in the Custom Toolbox now more accurately reflects the corresponding Resource level in each Experience Mode, i.e. if it is set to "Low," no Hunting Knives will spawn, as in Interloper.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where players could walk through the tree at the crouch tutorial location in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with Wolf feeding animation at Paradise Meadows Farm in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where Region information was appearing at incorrect times when transitioning from interior to exterior locations.
- [Wintermute] Fixed several issues that could block progression during Grey Mother missions in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Improved camera position when interacting with Astrid's Case at the beginning of Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Added a decimal point to Deer Meat amount in player's inventory for Episode Two, adding clarity to the completion of the "Survival School" missions.
- [Wintermute] Removed feeding Wolf from Forlorn Muskeg Region that would appear unaffected by the Aurora.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where an error message could appear after progressing to Day 5 in opening Survival Bowl section of Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Players can no longer place a Storm Lantern on Grey Mother's head.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where inventory items could be lost after cancelling out of a Trust interaction with Grey Mother.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with icons sometimes not appearing on map in Episode One.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where player would sometimes be standing on a chair after finishing dialogue with Grey Mother.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue with mouse inputs instantly loading manual save files in the Story save menu.
- [Wintermute] Added fade to black transition at the end of Episode Two cinematic in Jeremiah's Cabin, to avoid potential gameplay interruption.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- The Long Dark Hotfixed to v1.27
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Hotfixed to v1.27 on STEAM
Released 21 December 2017
- [Both] Fixed issue where displaced arm animations could appear for certain harvesting actions.
- [Wintermute] Updated Green Survivor description text; Predators are less deadly in this Experience, but will still attack you when unprovoked. (i.e. Green Survivor does not match Pilgrim settings.)
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where items could disappear from the Milton House after breaking down the blanket.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where stored items would be duplicated and could appear in more than one location at once. This affects the following locations: Lake Cabins, Fishing Huts, Jackrabbit House and PV Crossroads House. Please note this fix only applies to games created using Version 1.21 and onward.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue where a map icon may automatically appear for specific locations when they are entered (ex. Stone Church in Desolation Point) rather than through Charcoal Mapping, which would result in them not counting towards the Faithful Cartographer achievement.
- [Survival Mode] Fixed issue with the items placed in one location could appear in a different location instead (i.e. we created a teleportation device!). This affects the following locations: Farmhouse, Farmhouse Basement, Dam, Dam Trailers. Note that this fix applies to existing games.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Hotfix to version 1.21
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Hotfix to version 1.21 on STEAM
Released 18 December 2017
Size 420.0 MB
- [Survival] Fixed the Faithful Cartographer achievement. Fixes are retroactive but may require performing one mapping action per region to update the Achievement "checklist".
- [Survival] Fixed issue with stored loot being reset in the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse, as well as other (unreported) instances of loot being lost. Previous loot should now be restored.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where player could end up with second, untreatable "Plane Crash Injuries" due to conflict between manual save and checkpoint.
- [Both] Fixed crash on 32-bit Windows XP systems.
- [Both] Fixed crash when changing resolution on DirectX 9 systems.
Released 18 December 2017
- Fixed issue where some localized strings were not properly integrated into the game.
- Fixed issue where some interiors would be duplicated and have duplicated gear items, when playing using a Custom Experience Mode.
- Fixed issue with code-entry for the Custom Experience Mode appearing "all caps".
- Fixed issue where Antibiotics were not curing Infections.
- Fixed issue where all caught Fish had the same weight.
- Fixed issue where some customization options would not persist when modifying a "baseline" Experience Mode using the Custom Experience Toolbox.
- Fixed issue where Feats Badges could not be enabled when using a Custom Experience Mode. Progress playing when using a Custom mode will not count towards Feats progression, however, and this is by design.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Hotfix to version 1.17
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Hotfix to version 1.17 on STEAM
Released 7 December 2017
Size 796.8 MB
- Added the Moose to all Survival Mode regions.
- Added the Broken Ribs Affliction.
- Added the Moose-Hide Cloak gear item.
- Added the Moose-Hide Satchel gear item.
- Milton is now playable in Survival Mode, as "Mountain Town", including a full Loot and Wildlife pass.
- New Save System for WINTERMUTE.
- New Experience Modes for WINTERMUTE: Green Survivor, Capable Survivor, Hardened Survivor
- New Custom Experience Toolbox for Survival Mode.
- New Worn Clothing Weight Modifier.
- Added Aurorified Lighting to all regions; these appear when the Aurora is active at night.
- General texture clean-up.
- General art optimizations to improve performance.
- Reduced opacity of nighttime breath effect.
- Additional beautification around Coastal Highway Quonset
- Additional beautification around Pleasant Valley townsite.
- [Wintermute] Added missing texture to chair in cinematic.
- Fixed floating bones in Forlorn Muskeg Bear Den.
- Fixed floating Wood object in Mountain Town.
- Fixed the sun position in all regions to ensure it rises in the East and sets in the West.
- General clean up on "out of bounds" areas.
- [Survival] Fixed inaccessible loot in Turbine Room of Carter Hydro Dam.
- [Survival] Fixed inaccessible loot under bed in the Coastal Highway Quonset.
- [Survival] Fixed inaccessible loot in Cave in Mountain Town.
- [Survival] General loot tuning for Broken Railroad region.
- [Survival] Fixed inactive container item in Hunting Lodge basement.
- [Survival] Fixed missing corpses and containers in Broken Railroad region.
- [Wintermute] Fixed progression blocker related to Wood Bin and Flashlight in the Hunting Lodge.
- [Survival] Milton is now accessible from both Forlorn Muskeg and Mystery Lake regions.
- [Wintermute] Fixed missing translated strings for "Lake Gunshots" side mission.
- [Wintermute] Current episode progress (% Completed) is now displayed as part of Save Game information.
- [Survival] Fixed issue where player could get into a half-buried car on Coastal Highway.
- [Survival] UI updates to clarify Encumbered and "buffed" carrying capacity states.
- [Survival] Loot updates to Pleasant Valley to reflect additional beautifications.
- [Both] Added numbering to Afflictions in the First Aid UI to make it easier to treat when there are multiple instances.
- [Both] Fixed some inconsistencies in UIs that presented "cancel" options where that functionality did not exist.
- [Wintermute] Added some failsafe logic to ensure the Old Bear doesn't get stuck and prevent completion of the Bear Hunt mission.
- [Both] Reduced Deer carcass quartering time to 60 minutes, to improve balance against Bear and Moose quartering times.
- [Wintermute] Modified aurora appearance timings after the player completes the Bear Hunt mission in Episode Two. Aurorae should appear more frequently now.
- [Both] Controller bumpers can now be used to toggle between Harvesting and Quartering interfaces.
- [Both] Fixed issue where lit Lantern would be dropped during a Struggle, and end up back in the player's Backpack without being extinguished, thereby using up all the fuel. Lit Lanterns will now be dropped in a Struggle.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issues where items returned from a Trust interaction might not appear correctly in the player's Backpack.
- [Both] Fixed issue where player camera would be inside the Bear mesh during carcass harvesting.
- [Wintermute] Fixed issue where player would take no damage when standing inside Grey Mother's fire.
- [Survival] Fixed an issue where a few tunables in Interloper were defaulting to Stalker settings. Interloper should be more challenging now, as a result.
- [Both] Fixed some bugs with the Struggle system which could sometimes result in the player losing control.
- Several UI audio elements fixed.
- [Wintermute] Fixed bug where lit Flare audio could carry into cinematics.
- Moved triggers for "night is coming" gameplay VO to ensure they happen before it gets dark at dusk.
- Modified frequency of exploration music in Timberwolf Mountain region.
- General audio fixes for Grey Mother's House (Milton). Post Office (Milton), and the Hunting Lodge (Broken Railroad Region)
- [Both] General navmesh updates.
- [Both] The game will now automatically detect Polish and Italian text based on system language settings.
- [Survival] Added more backer info to Cairns.
- Steam - The Long Dark -- The Long Dark Updated to version 1.16 (33814) "RUGGED SENTINEL"
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- version 1.16 (33814) "RUGGED SENTINEL"
Patch 10 - Released 16 September 2017
Size 318.4 MB
May include spoilers
- Fixed issue with not being able to ascend rope in Broken Railroad region
- Fixed collision issue in Dam that could cause player to fall out of the world.
- Fixed issue with gamepad and Start Fire UI
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Hotfixed to v1.15 (32681)
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Steam Hotfixed to v1.15
Patch 9 - Released 14 September 2017
Size 318.4 MB
May include spoilers
- Improved screen flow leading to Episode Two once Episode One credits are complete or skipped.
- Episode Two: Fixed issue preventing Jeremiah's Flare Trust mission from triggering correctly.
- Episode Two: Fixed issue that could prevent Old Bear from progressing to next waypoint in Bear Hunt mission.
- Episode Two: Fix for Lake Cabin key using the incorrect key asset.
- Episode Two & Survival Mode: Added Rope Climb to River area in Broken Railroad region.
- Survival Mode: Tuned Aurora frequency values to make it more rare.
- Survival Mode: Fixed duplicated gear items in Trailer.
- Added scrolling for Journal text that won't fit entirely on screen.
- Fixed issue with gamepad controls when viewing Journal Notes.
- Fixed issue with Back button returning to Main Menu instead of previous screen when viewing Journal Notes from the Main Menu.
- Fixed issue with Cairn and Note collectibles not saving to Journal after death.
- Fixed issue where Flashlight pick-up "hot spot" was awkwardly large.
- Fixed issue where Backer text appeared as "N/A" instead of the correct English text in translated versions; this text is meant to be left untranslated in all languages.
- Fixed issue with duplicate Bears spawning in the Challenge: Hunted, Part Two
- Fixed issue with duplicate Jeremiah Knives spawning in Episode Two.
- Fixed issue with being able to get past the collapsed bridge in the Broken Railroad region.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Steam and PS4 now updated to v1.14
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Steam Patch 9 Is Now Live!
Patch 8 - Released 23 August 2017
Size 274.1 MB
May include spoilers
- Fixed issue preventing "Lake Gunshots" mission from completing correctly.
- General cinematics polish.
- Clarified Survival School "Harvestable Plants" mission requires adding plants to crate outside Jeremiah's cabin.
- Fixed issues with Distress Pistol animation.
- General memory optimizations.
- Fixed issue where storage container in Lodge appeared to be interactive when it was not.
- Fixed issue where duplicate Trust option appeared for Grey Mother.
- Fixed issue where Torch Blueprint would not unlock correctly when starting a fresh Episode Two game.
- Fixed issue where players could return to Milton after completing Episode One.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM + PS4 Updated to v1.12 (32503)
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Steam Patch 8 Is Now Live!
Patch 7 - Released 16 August 2017
Size 261.9 MB
May include spoilers
- Fixed issue with post-FX not rendering correctly on Linux when using Medium or higher display settings.
- Fixed issue with movie files not playing correctly on Linux.
- Fixed issue with Jeremiah's Flare Cache not spawning correctly. This fixes a blocker in getting the Supply Caches achievement.
- Fixed several small typos in various Trust dialogues.
- Memory optimizations.
- Fixed issue where Survival music could occasionally be heard in a story episode.
- Fixed issue where Jeremiah would be inanimate after completing the Bear Hunt mission.
- Fixed issue where the Snow Shelter would not unlock properly after completing the relevant Trust unlock.
- Fixed issue where Methuselah cinematic might not play in Renewed Hope mission.
- Fixed issue where Rifle could end up in a broken state when reloading during a door transition.
- Fixed issue in Survival Mode where the female survivor voice sometimes plays when playing as the male survivor.
- Fixed issue with a series of multiple exertion sounds being played after a Bear struggle.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM Patch 7 Is Now Live!
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Patch 7 Is Now Live!
Patch 6 - Released 11 August 2017
Size 414.7 MB
May include spoilers
- Memory and performance optimizations.
- Fixed issue where Methuselah may not trigger correctly in certain circumstances in Episode Two.
- Fixed issue with "Hank's Hatch" side mission in Episode Two.
- General fixes to various cinematics.
- Fixed issue with players teleporting when exiting the Lone Lake Cabin in Episode Two.
- Fixed issue where players could get stuck in Grey Mother's Fuel mission in Episode One.
- Fixed issue with text jittering on some screens.
- Retuned Food and Fuel requirements of respective Grey Mother missions in Episode One.
- Fixed camera crashing during Climb and Harvesting animations when FOV is over 90 degrees.
- Fixed a variety of annoying collision bugs throughout.
- Fixed issue where the Flashlight's "high intensity" setting was ineffective against Aurora Wolves.
- Fixed endlessly feeding Wolf in Milton.
- Fixed issue where players could sometimes get stuck in a dialogue sequence.
- Fixed issue with overlapping text in the Give Items portion of the Trust interface.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM PATCH 6 is now Live!
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Patch 6 Is Now Live!
Patch 5 - Released 9 August 2017
Size 261.0 MB
May include spoilers
- Fixed issue with Rope Fall section of Episode One, where players could get stuck due to a scripting bug.
- Improved cover flow UI for Episode Selection to make it more obvious that there are two available episodes.
- Fixed issue with Aurora probability in Survival Mode. Auroras should now appear more reliably.
- Difficulty tuning of Wolves in Episode One. Struggle should be more survivable for new players.
- Fixed some camera popping in Episode One cinematics.
- Fixed scripting error in "Fix My Rifle?" that could create mission logic issues.
- Fixed issue in Bear Hunt mission where the Ear would not spawn under certain circumstances.
- Fixed issue with Mackenzie clipping through the chair in some Episode One cinematics.
- Fixed issue with missing Milton Knowledge strings.
- Fixed issue with not being able to pick up the Bear Hide in Survival School.
- Fixed issue where the note with the Code would not appear in "Hank's Hatch" side mission.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM PATCH 5 now live!
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Patch 5 is now live!
Patch 4 - Released 4 August 2017
Size 219.6 MB
May include spoilers
- Fixed blocking issue where the Aurora would not appear in Episode Two, between completing the Bear Hunt mission and awaiting the aurora's return to get through the Dam. This fix is compatible with current in-progress games so you should not have to restart to benefit from it.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM: Patch 4 is Now Live
- Steam - The Long Dark -- The Long Dark -- Patch 4 Is Now Live!
'Patch 3' - Released 4 August 2017
- Tuned Antiseptic so that one dose is sufficient to treat Infection Risk.
- Added missing audio for picking up Astrid's Hardcase on Day 4.
- Added additional checkpointing in Ep1 and Ep2.
- Cinematics polish.
- Additional optimizations for performance and memory use.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- STEAM: Patch 3 for The Long Dark is Now Live!
- Steam - The Long Dark -- Patch 3 Is Now Live!
Patch 2 - Released 3 August 2017
May include spoilers
- Fixed save/restore issue that could result in missing loot in scenes when reloading from a checkpoint. This bug was preventing some quests from being completable after reload.
- Fixed the Bear struggle.
- Fixed issue that could cause player to spawn on top of a campfire in "Survival of the Fittest". It should now be impossible to place a fire and then spawn on it the following day.
- Memory optimizations to reduce chance lower memory systems will exhaust memory and crash
- Added some more tools in Milton.
- Fixed issue with Wolf AI not fleeing correctly when the player throws a lit Flare, Torch, or Stone at it.
- Fixed issues that preventing the WINTERMUTE soundtrack from playing correctly; you should now hear more music as you explore the world.
- Modified Fire objective on Day 3 of "Survival of the Fittest" to track how long fire has been burning, vs how long it will burn.
- Fixed issue where unlocked Crafting Blueprints could carry over to a New game.
- Fixed issue with Condition tutorial triggering after every death. It will now only trigger once.
- Add some missing subtitles.
- Fixed issue with Map Marker not clearing after retrieving Distress Pistol in "Light Up the Night"
- Fixed issue with “Echoes of Astrid” objective marker appearing during Grey Mother mission set
- Fixed floating campfire in Milton
- Fixed issue where looping Wolf "feeding" sounds remained even when the Wolf AI was absent.
- Fixed issue where feeding Wolves could face the player while still playing feeding animation.
- Fixed issue where Wolves would sometimes not go into their Hold Ground AI state when approached with a Flare or Torch.
- Fixed issue with map icon showing up for some Stone spawn regions.
- Fixed issue where player could get stuck on geometry in Milton.
- Hinterland Forums - The Long Dark -- Patch 2 for The Long Dark is Live!
- Steam - The long Dark -- PATCH 2 Now Live!
Patch 1 - Released 2 August 2017
Size: 267.4 MB
May include spoilers
- Added missing translations for Trust dialogue
- Fixed startup issues for some systems using DirectX 9
- Fixed issue with some books disappearing when dropped
- Improvements to checkpointing to help avoid getting into a low-Condition death spiral
- Buffed the Condition-restoration boost when player reloads after Death
- Added a Bedroll to the Cave in Chapter One. This can be used to Save your Game
- Removed requirement to drink Rosehip Tea in Survival Bowl; it is now an optional objective
- Fixed issue with Rifle Cleaning Kit disappearing after reloading a save
- Fixed issue with environment geo near the Climbing Park section in Milton
- Fixed various cases where audio could cut out
- Fixed flickering in cutscenes that could occur when using OpenGL (Mac and Linux)
- Fixed locked controls when throwing a stone and picking up a rabbit at the same time
- Fixed floating necklace when speaking with Grey Mother
- General cinematics polish
- Fixed scrollbar issue when transferring items to NPCs
- Fixed place object shader so objects tint correctly over decals
- Fixed issue with radios playing music when aurora isn’t present
Released 1 August 2017
Size: 2.7 GB
An official changelog was not released for the 1.00 version of the game. The following changelog is unofficial.
- Added episodes 1 and 2.
- Added the new region: Broken Railroad
- Revamped interior and exterior designs for the Mystery Lake cabins, Carter Hydro Dam, and Camp Office.
- New models and icons for food and drink items.
- Improvements and additions to first person animations.
- Added to and removed from the list of achievements.
- Removed Fluffy from the Carter Hydro Dam.