|“|| Now you're the Hunter. With the Bearkiller Rifle in hand, track the Old Bear to its Den.|
|“|| Take the rifle and go face the Old Bear.|
Challenge start Edit
The challenge begins right where Part One left off, with the player having entered the Trapper's Homestead and armed with the Bearkiller Rifle. The Old Bear can be heard outside banging on the door. The player begins with a Hunting Rifle and 10 rounds of ammunition.
The bear will be directly outside the homestead and must be shot with the rifle immediately or else it will attack the player. The bear cannot be killed so it is best to only shoot the bear when it has stopped at the designated locations. The bear will follow a path and must be shot to force it to continue retreating back to the bear den. The easiest way to track the bear is to follow the bear prints in the snow and the drops of blood. If the player stops for an extended period, or if it heavily snows, the tracks will disappear.
The following list is the locations that the bear will stop at in order from the Trapper's Homestead to the den.
- Max's Last Stand
- Tunnel Collapse
- Camp Office
- Frozen Creek
- Clear Cut
- Logging Camp
- River (Southern Access)
- Ice Fishing Huts
- Bear Den
Warning: *Do not read if you do not want to be spoiled on the ending of the challenge.*
Once the player has finally reached the cave where the bear is hiding and gets close enough to the entrance, the Old Bear will charge out and pounce on the player. Shooting the bear will not stop it from attacking. The bear will slowly drag the character back into the cave. As the screen fades to black while the sounds of growling and chewing can be heard, the words To Be Continued appear, implying a third part to The Hunted Challenge.
- Wolves can be found roaming near the trail the bear takes. It is recommended to use flares or alternative ways of making wolves flee instead of shooting them. Ammunition is limited and the rifle is the only weapon that can make the bear retreat.
- The Camp Office will always have three rifle cartridges on top of the filling cabinets. Make sure to grab these in case you run out of bullets while hunting the bear.
- You will find more bullets in the first rooms of the barrage, before the wolves.
- There is a dangerous way to spook the bear without shooting: you can fake charge him. It does not always work so be ready to aim and shoot fast.
- The Dam has a single bullet on the floor in the first main room as well as a single bullet on the floor in the bathroom. There is also a box of five bullets in the room on the right. This should eliminate any ammo concerns.
Game-breaking bugs Edit
- The Old Bear drops out of the game after running from Frozen Creek to the Cabin. The challenge description remains active, but the bear will not be at any of the locations of engagement listed above.
- If you save and resume or load, the challenge description will be lost and therefore impossible to complete. If you attempt this challenge, you must finish it in one go.
- These bugs make it impossible to complete this challenge as of 1.46. It is recommended to not attempt to complete it until a fix is mentioned in release notes.
|Hopeless Rescue • The Hunted, Part One • The Hunted, Part Two • Whiteout • Nomad • Archivist|