The story of Wintermute launched August 1, 2017 with two episodes: Do Not Go Gentle, and Luminance Fugue. The story episode explains the relationship between Dr Astrid Greenwood and a bush pilot whom she hires, named William Mackenzie. After a mysterious geomagnetic disaster, Astrid and William become separated. Hear and experience the story from their perspective, and face the struggle to survive head on.
Episodic structure Edit
The Long Dark's episodic structure borrows from TV to deliver a well-paced narrative experience that is advanced by player action in the world. Similar to open-world games like Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3, The Long Dark offers both a large open-world simulation space that encourages freeform gameplay, as well as a story-driven mission structure that draws players deeper into the fiction of the game and world. This structure means that whether you have 15 minutes or 1.5 hours to play, you can jump in and make meaningful progress towards an in-game goal. Each episode will take an average of 3-5 hours to complete.
Do Not Go Gentle launched August 1, 2017.
In this episode, William Mackenzie's plane has crashed due to a mysterious geomagnetic event. He and fellow traveler Dr Astrid Greenwood are now separated and William does his best to survive the wilderness while trying to find shelter. His journey takes him to the small town of Milton where he starts to understand the extent of the quiet apocalypse.
Luminance Fugue launched August 1, 2017.
William Mackenzie is on the search for Astrid, but is now starting to realize the depth of the situation he finds himself in. During his journey, he meets other survivors and finds himself making crucial, but not easy decisions that determine just how far he is willing to go to survive.
There are three levels of difficulty that can be chosen from
Green Survivor Edit
- For new players most interested in pensive exploration and storytelling.
- Most survival elements are tuned to be very forgiving.
Capable Survivor Edit
- For players with some experience, and those looking for a balance between exploration and survival.
- Wildlife is sparse, but can seek you out.
- Survival elements are challenging but resources are plentiful.
Hardened Survivor Edit
- For veteran players looking for a punishing survival experience.
- Hostile wildlife is common, and will hunt you down.
- All survival elements are tuned to be particularly challenging.
Future episodes Edit
Hinterland announced that Episode 3 will be released after the REDUX upgrade in 2019
Astrid has announced to be the main character in this episode.