Sleep is the player's most efficient way to both eliminate fatigue and regain condition. Selecting a bed, deployed bedroll, deployed bear skin bedroll or a cave mat will open up the sleep interface. While inside a car the option to sleep can also be accessed via Campcraft in the radial menu.
Duration and interruption[edit | edit source]
Up to 12 consecutive hours may be slept in a row, with the amount of time being adjustable by whole hour increments. The amount of time the player will sleep may not be exactly the number of hours selected, but may vary by 10 minutes. The player will also stop sleeping when their fatigue bar is full. Sleep cannot be interrupted manually by the player once it has started so care must be taken that all needs will remain met (safety, warmth, thirst, hunger).
Animal attacks will interrupt sleep if they happen while the player is sleeping. Further, sandboxes on the Pilgrim or Voyageur experience modes have a chance to wake the player when they are nearing death or threatened. Other experience modes do not provide any such warning and allow the player to sleep themselves to death, so more attentive need management is required, although stalker does warn the player if he/she starts to freeze.
Sleeping in vehicles[edit | edit source]
Vehicle interiors also function as beds but are not directly selectable. To sleep in a vehicle, open the radial menu while inside, then activate the bedroll function through the Campcraft option. The sleep interface will then appear whether or not the player has a bedroll. No bedroll is required or used when sleeping in a car. As a result, bedrolls in the inventory will not decay when sleeping in vehicles. All vehicles offer +3°C warmth bonus, but even if the player has a bedroll with a warmth bonus greater than 3°C, it will still provide only 3°C.
Warmth bonus[edit | edit source]
All bed types offer some level of insulation for the player while they are being used. This is displayed on the sleep interface as the warmth bonus. For all intents and purposes, this will raise the character's feels like temperature by the indicated amount for the duration of the sleep.
Satisfying fatigue[edit | edit source]
Some fatigue is eliminated with each hour of sleep. A full 12 hours of sleep are required to completely fill the fatigue bar from empty. If the player sleeps for less than 12 hours, fatigue will fill at the rate of 1/12th of the bar per hour. The player will wake up early if their fatigue bar completely fills.
Restoring condition[edit | edit source]
If all needs are met, meaning their bars are not empty, sleep also restores lost condition. Condition is restored on a progressive scale that rewards sleeping for longer periods. This can be further accelerated by use of herbal tea.
Note: If all needs are not met or need meters fall below zero while sleeping, condition still drops. It is quite possible to die in one's sleep if not interrupted. Thirst and Hunger will worsen as one sleeps.
Drinking herbal or birch bark before going to sleep will restore additional condition. For herbal tea the benefit of a full cup will remain for 6h and will provide an extra 2% condition per hour slept (Interloper +1%). See more here: improved rest
In Interloper[edit | edit source]
In Interloper experience, recovering condition during sleep is seriously reduced. Each consecutive hour returns usually more % of condition than the previous (check table below), maxed at 5% per hour. Sleeping for 1 hour in any sort of bed besides the cloth bedroll returns 1% of condition. Sleeping 2 hours returns 1% for the first hour and 1% for the second hour totaling 2%. Sleeping 3 hours returns the 2% (1+1) for the first two hours and 2% for the third totaling 4%.
NOTICE: If you sleep for more than 10h, you're taking a condition hit during the 11th or 12th hour due to thirst and you'll actually lose 2% condition each hour. This makes the sleep for 10h the best possible way to heal in one session (+32% max posible condition gain).
Sleeping in a bed or in a bearskin bedroll :
|Hour||Restores - interloper||Total Condition||^100% From|
|11||-2%||+30%||see note above|
Sleeping in a cloth bedroll :
|Hour||Restores - interloper||Total Condition||^100% From|
|11||-2%||+25%||see note above|
In rest of the experiences[edit | edit source]
If all needs are met, meaning their bars are not empty, sleep also restores lost condition. Condition is restored on a progressive scale which rewards sleeping for longer periods. Each consecutive hour returns 1 more % of condition than the previous. Sleeping for 1 hour in any sort of bed besides the cloth bedroll returns 2% of condition. Sleeping 2 hours returns 2% for the first hour and 3% for the second hour totaling 5%. Sleeping 3 hours returns the 5% (2+3) for the first two hours and 4% for the third totaling 9%. This can be further accelerated by use of herbal tea.
|Hour||Restores||Total Condition||^100% From||Calories burned||Cal / Condition|
If the player sleeps at a cloth bedroll, the one difference is that the starting amount is 1% (thus reducing all consecutive hours by 1% each as well).
|Hour||Restores bedroll||Total Condition||^100% From||Calories burned||Cal / Condition|
Note: If all needs are not met or become unmet, condition loss will continue or begin. It is quite possible to die in one's sleep if not interrupted. Thirst and Hunger build as one sleeps -- at 55 ml & 60 calories per hour. Thus, 12 hours of sleep will completely dehydrate a character who had no thirst when starting. Therefore, it is wise to always drink water before sleeping.
Impaired sleep[edit | edit source]
There are many afflictions that impair sleep. Food poisoning and dysentery will not allow condition to be restored during sleep. Coupled with this, burns and hypothermia will immediately reduce the condition to 75% if it is above that the moment sleep starts, and prevent it from ever rising above until the affliction is cured.