A region is a large, explorable outdoor area that encompasses many discoverable locations.
You can have an overview of connections between regions on your right.
Note: Bleak Inlet features a unique access configuration. There are two connections to other regions, but the connection with The Ravine is initially inaccessible from the lower elevation area accessed by the connection with Forlorn Muskeg. A mountaineering rope may be deployed from the top of a cliff on the higher-elevation side to make both entrances accessible from either side.
In most difficulty levels of Survival mode, the player may select any region as the starting point or may choose to start in a random region.
If the Interloper experience is selected, then the starting region will be randomly chosen from more challenging maps. In Interloper, the player will not spawn in Mountain Town, Mystery Lake, or Coastal Highway, and the number of possible spawn locations within each possible region is limited.
In the Story mode, the starting location is always the same and the player is restricted in what regions he can visit.
- Episode 1 takes place entirely in Mountain Town. Once the main quest is completed, player acquires means to proceed away from this region, which triggers the beginning of Episode 2.
- Episode 2 mostly takes place in Mystery Lake, however the player has to also travel to Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad to progress the main quest. Unlike in Survival mode, it is not possible to return to Mountain Town (Milton) once Episode 2 starts.
- Episode 3 takes place in Pleasant Valley and ends in the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.
There are currently 11 regions in The Long Dark, which are:
|Mystery Lake||Beginner||22||Survival, Story||22 Sep 2014|
|Coastal Highway||Intermediate||18||Survival||30 Oct 2014|
|Pleasant Valley||Advanced||25||Survival, Story||7 Feb 2015|
|Desolation Point||Intermediate||11||Survival||18 Sep 2015|
|Timberwolf Mountain||Advanced||17||Survival||16 Dec 2015|
|Forlorn Muskeg||Advanced||14||Survival, Story||19 Dec 2016|
|Broken Railroad||Intermediate||8||Survival, Story||1 Aug 2017|
|Mountain Town||Beginner||23||Survival, Story||1 Aug 2017|
|Hushed River Valley||Advanced||24||Survival||14 June 2018|
|Bleak Inlet||Advanced||17||Survival||10 Dec 2019|
|Ash Canyon||Advanced||20||Survival||7 Dec 2020|
In addition to these regions, there are also several transition zones, which are smaller explorable areas serving as links between some regions. Some transition zones may also contain discoverable locations. The transition zones include:
- Abandoned Mine No. 3 - part of the connection between Coastal Highway and Desolation Point
- Cinder Hills Coal Mine - connects Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley
- Old Island Connector - part of the connection between Coastal Highway and Desolation Point
- The Ravine - connects Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway and Bleak Inlet
- Carter Hydro Dam Environs - connects Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley (consists of Carter Hydro Dam, the Winding River, and a Cave)
- Various Caves
Directly connected regions
Some regions are connected directly, without any transition zone between them. These connections are:
- Mystery Lake - Forlorn Muskeg
- Forlorn Muskeg - Broken Railroad
- Mountain Town - Forlorn Muskeg
- Pleasant Valley - Timberwolf Mountain
- Timberwolf Mountain - Ash Canyon