A region is a large, explorable outdoor area that encompasses many discoverable locations.
In Survival mode, the player may select any region as the starting point or may choose to start in a random region.
If the Interloper experience is selected, then the starting region will be randomly chosen. In Interloper, the player will not spawn in Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway, and the number of possible spawn locations within each region is limited.
In the Story mode, the starting location is always the same and the player is restricted in what regions he can visit.
- Episode 1 takes place entirely in Mountain Town. Once the main quest is completed, player acquires means to proceed away from this region, which triggers the beginning of Episode 2.
- Episode 2 mostly takes place in Mystery Lake, however the player has to also travel to Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad to progress the main quest. Unlike in Survival mode, it is not possible to return to Mountain Town (Milton) once Episode 2 starts.
Region list Edit
There are currently nine regions in The Long Dark, which are:
|Region||Difficulty|| Number of|
|Mystery Lake||Beginner||22||Survival, Story||22 Sep 2014|
|Coastal Highway||Intermediate||16||Survival||30 Oct 2014|
|Pleasant Valley||Advanced||24||Survival||7 Feb 2015|
|Desolation Point||Intermediate||13||Survival||18 Sep 2015|
|Timberwolf Mountain||Advanced||16||Survival||16 Dec 2015|
|Forlorn Muskeg||Advanced||10||Survival, Story||19 Dec 2016|
|Broken Railroad||Intermediate||5||Survival, Story||1 Aug 2017|
|Mountain Town||Beginner||18||Survival, Story||1 Aug 2017|
|Hushed River Valley||Advanced||Survival||14 June 2018|
In addition to these regions, there are also several transition zones, which are smaller explorable areas serving as links between some regions. Some transition zones may also contain discoverable locations. The transition zones include:
- Abandoned Mine No. 3 - part of the connection between Coastal Highway and Desolation Point
- Cinder Hills Coal Mine - connects Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley
- Old Island Connector - part of the connection between Coastal Highway and Desolation Point
- The Ravine - connects Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway
- Carter Hydro Dam Environs - connects Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley (consists of Carter Hydro Dam, the Winding River, and a Cave)
- Various Caves
Directly Connected RegionsEdit
Some regions are connected directly, without any transition zone between them. These connections are:
- Mystery Lake - Forlorn Muskeg
- Forlorn Muskeg - Broken Railroad
- Mountain Town - Forlorn Muskeg
- Pleasant Valley - Timberwolf Mountain