|“||For new players. Although deep in decline, Milton still offers many sturdy shelters and plentiful wildlife. But if you leave town for the surrounding hills and fields, beware!
- In game description
It is the setting for Episode 1 of Wintermute, as well as the eighth region added to Survival mode. Milton is accessible via Mystery Lake (through a cave near the Trapper's Homestead), Forlorn Muskeg (at Marsh Ridge through a Rose Bush climb to Milton Basin), and to Hushed River Valley (through a cave between the Trailer and Spruce Falls Bridge).
Mountain Town is a region rich in Cat Tails and Rose Hips. Cat Tails can be found in abundance along the banks of the river passing by Milton and at a pond in town, throughout the Milton Basin, behind St. Christopher's Church, near the Trailer, under the Spruce Falls Bridge, and near the Radio Tower. The region also features high density of Rose Hips, particulary around and near Mackenzie's Crashed Plane.
The region has a number of distinctive areas and named locations, most of which are located in or a short distance from the town itself:
- Cave (Mountain Town location)
- Crashed Prison Transport Bus
- Hermit's Cabin
- Orca Gas Station
- Paradise Meadows Farm
- Spruce Falls Bridge
- St. Christopher's Church
- Milton Park
- Picnic Area
- Radio Tower
- Rocky Refuge
- Mackenzie's Crashed Plane
- Wood Lot
- The Arch
- According to the game's developer, the name Mountain Town was intended to be an "internal name only" for the Milton area; however the name appears on both the Great Bear Island map and the region map of the area.
- In Survival Mode, 'returning' to the original crash site (the starting area in Wintermute) is actually worthwhile, as the site itself (or rarely, a car leading to the site) will always yield a copy of "Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns!" and a number of Rose Hips. Also, the green crates at the site can be broken down, potentially revealing loot inside. In addition, the Spruce Falls Bridge holds numerous lootable cars, of which one single trunk/frozen corpse will contain a mid-to-high tier coat or parka (randomly placed).
- The region has an unusually high number of Wolves in Survival Mode, even on lower difficulties. In Story mode, Grey Mother and Will discuss the inordinately large number of wolves in the area, with Grey Mother comments that "wolves are quick to move in when the people go".
- Mountain Town was added to the game on 1 August 2017 in the Wintermute update.
- Mountain Town became available in Survival mode on 7 December 2017 in the Rugged Sentinel update.
- Mountain Town map has changed with Wintermute Redux update.
- Raphael van Lierop, Twitter, 5 August 2017 https://twitter.com/RaphLife/status/893702535973752832