Mountain Town is a region on Great Bear Island centered around the small, recently abandoned town of Milton. It is the setting for Episode 1 of The Long Dark, as well as the eighth region featured in Survival mode. Milton is accessible via Forlorn Muskeg (Marsh Ridge connecting to Milton Basin) and Mystery Lake (through a cave near the Trapper's Homestead, followed by two climbing access points). Another cave between the Mobile Home and Spruce Falls Bridge connects to the Hushed River Valley.
Mountain Town is a region relatively rich in cat tails and rose hips. Cat tails can be found in the Milton Basin, behind St. Christopher's Church at the pond, near the Trailer at the pond, under the Spruce Falls Bridge, at the pond near town, and near the Radio Tower. The river passing that leads to Milton Basin also hosts numerous clumps of the plants. This region also has a high density of rose hips near the initial Plane Crash Site.
The region has a number of distinctive areas and named locations, most of which are located in or a short distance from the town itself:
- Crashed Prison Transport Bus
- Hermit's Cabin
- Orca Gas Station
- Paradise Meadows Farm
- Spruce Falls Bridge
- St. Christopher's Church
- Milton Park
- Picnic Area
- Radio Tower
- Rocky Refuge
- Mackenzie's Crashed Plane
- Wood Lot
- Mobile Home
- The Arch (Mountain Town location)
- According to the game's developer, the name Mountain Town was intended to be an "internal name only" for the Milton area; however the name appears on both the Great Bear Island map and the region map of the area.
- 'Returning' to the original crash site (the starting area in Wintermute) is actually worthwhile, as the site itself (or, very rarely, one of the cars leading to the site, instead) will always yield a copy of Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns! and an unholy number of harvestable rose hips. In addition, the green crates found at the site can be broken down, potentially revealing loot inside! In addition, the bridge leading to the crash site past St. Christopher's Church holds numerous lootable cars. Although they require a prybar, the trunks of said cars are usually empty--although a single trunk/frozen corpse will contain a mid-to-high tier coat or parka (randomly placed).
- The region has an unusually high number of wolves in Survival mode, even on lower difficulties. It is unknown if this is a glitch or an intentional feature (in Story mode, Grey Mother and Will discuss the inordinately large number of wolves in the area, with Grey Mother commenting that the wolves move in quickly when the people go).
Game History Edit
- Mountain Town was added to the game on 1 August 2017 in the Wintermute update.
- Mountain Town became available in Survival mode on 7 December 2017 in the Rugged Sentinel update.
- ↑ Raphael van Lierop, Twitter, 5 August 2017 https://twitter.com/RaphLife/status/893702535973752832