|“|| An old .303 calibre bolt-action hunting rifle. Will bring a deer down. Maybe a wolf.|
The hunting rifle is a bolt-action weapon with an internal magazine capacity of 10 rounds that can be used to scare away or kill wildlife. When hitting a target, it provides experience in the Rifle firearm skill.
The hunting rifle is the first firearm be added to the game and one of two a player may find throughout the regions of Great Bear Island. It is the heaviest ranged weapon a player can have in their inventory. However, the bullets are lighter than arrows. While the rifle can inflict a critical hit to targets, the weapon and the bullets themselves are scarce and cannot be crafted, unlike the bow and arrows. The rifle's condition will degrade after a shot, requiring regular cleaning.
When found, the rifle is always empty and so it will need to be loaded with rifle ammunition. The rifle holds a maximum of 10 rounds at a time, and can be loaded with 5 round stripper clips; rounds will be loaded individually if there are 6 or more rounds in the magazine. Loading will continue until interrupted by clicking or canceling, or the magazine is fully loaded.
Depending on the player's rifle skill and condition, when aimed, the rifle will sway or shudder slightly, affecting the player's ability to aim. The sway increases if the player's need meters are low (e.g., if the player is tired).
Low condition weapons have a chance to improperly load the next cartridge. Attempting to fire will result in a misfire. To clear the jam, the bolt must be cycled again manually by pressing the reload button/key. Doing so will eject the unspent cartridge onto the ground near the player, from where it can be picked up and used again. Unloading and reloading the rifle will also clear the jam, but without dropping any ammo.
- Main article: Cleaning
Hunting rifles can be cleaned with a firearm cleaning kit to prevent jamming and improve accuracy.
Cleaning a rifle consumes 5% condition from the rifle cleaning kit and restores some condition to the hunting rifle, based on the player's skill level. Each rifle cleaning kit can be used up to 20 times for repairing hunting rifles.
In Survival mode, the hunting rifle degrades 1.333% for each shot taken. When the rifle is at full condition, 75 shots can be taken before it degrades to broken. The hunting rifle can be cleaned to restore condition and increase the number of total shots that can be taken.
If the player obtains a level 5 Rifle Firearm skill, the hunting rifle degrades 0.666% for each shot taken. When the rifle is at full condition, 150 shots can be taken before it degrades to broken.
In Story mode, the hunting rifle degrades 0.666% for each shot taken. When the rifle is at full condition, 150 shots can be taken before it degrades to broken. The hunting rifle can be cleaned to restore condition and increase the number of total shots that can be taken.
The player cannot increase or decrease the degradation rate of the hunting rifle in Story mode, even through extensive training or practice.
- Main article: Hunting
The hunting rifle is an aimable tool used to fire rifle rounds at targets. The high velocity rounds travel in a straight line and can cause massive internal injuries to the first object they encounter, potentially killing animals instantly. If the round fails to cause internal injuries sufficient enough to kill instantly, the round will still result a bleeding wound that will kill the animal eventually.
The rifle has a maximum range of approximately 50 paces. Targets beyond the maximum range cannot be hit. Hitting a fleshy target will produce a blood spray effect.
Bleed out time Edit
Wildlife take a specific amount of time to bleed out, as follows:
|Chest||240 minutes||45 minutes||Instant|
|Hind||360 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes|
|Foot||480 minutes||240 minutes||120 minutes|
As with other items, the hunting rifle will randomly spawn in different locations on different play-throughs. However, each major map is guaranteed to have at least one rifle spawn in it.
Some observed spawn points include:
|Carter Hydro Dam||Underneath a staircase|
|Train Bridge||Next to a burned out campfire, sat against the wall.|
|Camp Office||On the lake trail behind the camp office, next to a frozen corpse.|
|Trapper's Homestead||On a gun rack mounted on the wall above the safe.|
|Lone Lake Cabin||Outside, behind the cabin, beside a corpse.|
|Derailment||In the train-car sat against the wall.|
|Forestry Lookout||In gun rack.|
|Destroyed Lookout||Next to a frozen corpse.|
|Prepper cache||Only the hunting supplies cache.|
|Max's Last Stand||Next to a frozen corpse|
- Under bridge leading to The Ravine, next to the corpse.
- Inside the ice-fishing hut between Jackrabbit Island and Misanthrope's Homestead, propped against a wall.
- In the back seat of a car.
- Jackrabbit Island: Inside house, beside wardrobe in bedroom.
- Misanthrope's Homestead: the Eastern tip of the island, beside the corpse.
- Misanthrope's Homestead, in the corner of the bedroom beside the wardrobe
- Abandoned Lookout: in gun rack.
- Signal Hill: Radio Control Tower building, propped against the wall in the corner near the entrance, on the bed or in corner of the radio room.
- Pleasant Valley Farmstead: Inside the home, underneath the Master Bedroom's Bed or propped against the wall in the study.
- Pleasant Valley Farmstead: Inside the ruined building on the trail towards the back-left (south-west) of farmstead sat next to a corpse.
- Misty Falls Picnic Area: Near the corpse.
- Prepper cache: Only the one that contains hunting gear.
- Three Strikes Homestead.
- Long Curve: Inside the abandoned car.
- Broken Bridge: Inside cave, at the high lookout point. (guaranteed)
- Hibernia Processing: Either in elevated hideout reached through the pipe under rowboat or behind some crates that must be destroyed first or under bunk beds. (guaranteed)
- Stone Church: Propped against a wall.
- Next to a corpse.
- Inside a cargo container mostly containing ammunition.
- Milton House: leaning against the fireplace.
- Milton: behind the post office inside a car.
- Milton: On the floor by the bed in the small isolated house on top of a hill.
- Paradise Meadows Farm: on top of the bed
- Beside a dead corpse in an open cave near the remote car between Spruce Falls Bridge and Trailer
- Leaning against the altar in the St. Christopher Church
- Beside a dead corpse in an open cave near the Radio Tower
- Located on a dead body northwest of Old Spence Family Homestead under a large arch on the frozen river.
- Hunting Lodge underneath a bed.
- Hunting Lodge basement.
- Hunting Lodge on top of a bed on the second floor.
- The Ravine next to a corpse at the bottom of the ravine.
- The rifle can't be used with a sprained wrist.
- Bullets are more likely to cause a critical wound than arrows.
- Shooting a deer or wolf in their critical zones at close range has a high chance to kill the animal instantly.
- Bullets cause less bleeding than an arrow, creating additional bleed-out time.
- Firing the rifle indoors will cause temporary deafness.
- The rifle is dropped during a struggle with a bear.
- The hunting rifle has a full wooden furniture, a feature common in World War Two and earlier combat rifles. The full stock makes the rifle very heavy, which consumes a significant portion of the player's limited carrying capacity.
- The rifle appears to be heavily based on Lee-Enfield bolt action rifle, which was Britain's standard issue rifle until the 1960s.
- The rifle seen in the game appears to have a Mauser 98 action and sporter stock chambered in .303 and with Lee-Enfield sights (though it is missing the front sight protector) and ten round magazine from the Enfield.
- The jams featured in the game appears to be caused by rim-lock, which is where the rims on two cartridges snag and cause loading problems. This is supported by the fact that .303 is a rimmed round, Lee Enfields have trouble with rim-lock, and single loading prevents this issue from occurring.
|Cooking||Can opener • Cooking pot • Recycled can|
|Ice Fishing||Fishing tackle • Hook • Line|
|Lighting||Flare • Flashlight • Storm lantern • Torch|
|Mending||Quality tools • Rifle cleaning kit • Sewing kit • Simple tools • Whetstone|
|Sleep||Bear skin bedroll • Bedroll|
|Story||Jeremiah's knife • Scrap metal shard|
|Other||Charcoal • Mountaineering rope • Snare|