|“||A hammer suitable for metalworking.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Heavy hammer is a tool. It can be used to break down crates or open ice-fishing holes in fishing huts, but its main use is forging items such as arrowheads, improvised hatchets, and improvised knives using a furnace. It is the only tool that can perform these tasks and was introduced along with the first furnace found in the game.
Harvesting Reclaimed Wood[edit | edit source]
With a heavy hammer, it is possible to harvest reclaimed wood from furniture that cannot be broken down with bare hands. However, these items take more time to break down and consume more calories than breaking down with a hatchet. Despite this drawback, some players might find using hammers for breaking down furniture preferable, as hammers are easier to repair if one has a set of simple tools or quality tools available.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Some particular observed locations in which a heavy hammer may be found include:
Mystery Lake[edit | edit source]
- At Carter Hydro Dam inside the dam complex, at the workbench.
- In the Forestry Lookout.
- At a fishing hut under the fireplace.
- At Trapper's Homestead on the workbench.
Coastal Highway[edit | edit source]
- In one of the cars at Coastal Highway near Log Sort or at Quonset Garage.
- On a metal shelf, and in the large toolbox in the garage work area, Quonset Gas Station.
- In one of the ice fishing huts under the fireplace.
- At the Abandoned Lookout, under the chair.
- Under the workbench in Fishing Camp
Pleasant Valley[edit | edit source]
- On the upper level of the Barn in Pleasant Valley.
- In the basement at Pleasant Valley Farmstead.
- Under a shelf at Signal Hill.
Desolation Point[edit | edit source]
- On the shelf in the engine room of The Riken.
- At Hibernia Processing on the workbench or the tool rack shelves.
Forlorn Muskeg[edit | edit source]
- In a red box in the Old Spence Family Homestead. (or under the workbench, or outside the wall)
- Near one of the pallets at the Bunk Houses.
Timberwolf Mountain[edit | edit source]
- In one of the containers in the Tail Section of Timberwolf Mountain.
- Under the workbench at the Mountaineer's Hut.
- Under the stove in the fishing hut on Crystal Lake.
Broken Railroad[edit | edit source]
- At a shelf in the Maintenance Yard, or in one of the toolboxes.
Ravine[edit | edit source]
- In a train carriage.
- In the fallen gondola.
Mountain Town (Milton)[edit | edit source]
- In the back of the truck in front of Bank Manager's house.
- In one of the low tier houses on a crate.
- In one of the low tier houses on a metal shelf.
- In the closet at Paradise Meadows Farmstead.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The shape of the hammer is similar to a real-world mini-sledge.
- In real world metalworking, numerous different hammers (each with their own unique head shapes and weights) would be be used for different applications, but for all intents and purposes the picture suits as merely just a reference.
- It's sometimes called a "Wolf Bonker" due to it's high melee stats, capable of crippling limbs and ending wolf struggles rapidly (15% chance to scare off immediately, 5% chance to kill instantly).
Game History[edit | edit source]
- Introduced with Desolation Point update on 18 September 2015
|Cooking||Can opener • Cooking pot • Recycled can|
|Ice Fishing||Fishing tackle • Hook • Line|
|Lighting||Flare • Flashlight • Marine flare • Storm lantern • Torch|
|Mending||Quality tools • Rifle cleaning kit • Sewing kit • Simple tools • Whetstone|
|Sleep||Bear skin bedroll • Bedroll|
|Story||Jeremiah's knife • Scrap metal shard|
|Other||Charcoal • Mountaineering rope • Snare • Spray Paint|