|“||Heavy-duty saw made to cut through metal.
The hacksaw is a tool with several critical functions, including harvesting saplings and furniture made of a variety of materials. Scrap metal is required to repair it.
Uses[edit | edit source]
The hacksaw is the only tool able to break down metal shelves and other metal items to obtain scrap metal. It is required to open cargo containers on Timberwolf Mountain, and it can be used instead of a hatchet to cut small tree limbs (a hatchet must be used for the largest limbs) and saplings. It also can be used to harvest carcasses for meat, hides, or guts, although it may be more efficient to use bare hands or other tools. It cannot be used as a weapon in struggles.
One scrap metal and a set of simple tools or quality tools are needed to repair the hacksaw. Although it requires a tool set for repair (which are reasonably common), the hacksaw is a reliable way to harvest firewood without relying on hatchets and whetstones, which can be in limited supply, or an improvised hatchet, which requires a forge to craft.
Spawn points[edit | edit source]
As with other items, the hacksaw will randomly spawn in any of several different locations on different play-throughs.
Some observed spawn points include:
- On a shelf in the control room of Carter Hydro Dam in the Upper Dam.
- Under the workbench in the Trapper's Cabin .
- On the barrel or a shelf along the wall in the engine room, 1st floor, Hibernia Processing.
- In a drawer at Desolation Point exit side.
- On a metal shelf, and under the large tool chest, inside Quonset Garage.
- On the workbench in the Mountaineer's Hut.
- Beside a corpse.
- Beside a corpse. (near the Old Spence Family Homestead)
- Outside the small cabins near the Old Spence Family Homestead.
- Poacher's Camp.
- In the toolbox in the barn.
- Molly's barn.
- Behind a fallen shelf or one the workbench in the basement of Pleasant Valley Farmstead.
- Between the metal shelf and standing mattresses inside the Trailer.
- Town of Milton, Milton House (Not Grey Mother 's house)
- Paradise Meadows Farm, on a workbench
- On a chair behind cash register in Orca Gas Station
- On a shelf in the Last Resort Cannery Workshop
- Under a beam that makes up part of the Cannery obstacle course
|Cooking||Can opener • Cooking pot • Recycled can|
|Ice Fishing||Fishing tackle • Hook • Line|
|Lighting||Flare • Flashlight • Marine flare • Storm lantern • Torch|
|Mending||Quality tools • Rifle cleaning kit • Sewing kit • Simple tools • Whetstone|
|Sleep||Bear skin bedroll • Bedroll|
|Story||Jeremiah's knife • Scrap metal shard|
|Other||Charcoal • Mountaineering rope • Snare • Spray Paint|